I am married and my U.S. citizen mother filed a petition for me many years ago. I am in the U.S. legally. How do I know when I can file to adjust my status?

Every month, the U.S. Department of State publishes a Visa Bulletin showing when a foreign national waiting for a visa number is eligible to file for adjustment of status or to process an immigrant visa abroad. When a U.S. person files a petition for a foreign national, the day that the federal immigration authorities receive the filing fee establishes the foreign national beneficiary’s place in line for a visa. This is known as a “Priority Date.” When the Visa Bulletin show that date to be reached, a foreign national is eligible for an immigrant visa number and can file to adjust status, or can receive an immigrant visa abroad.

Other Family Immigration Frequently Asked Questions

The information appearing in these FAQ responses is not legal advice and is provided for general information purposes only. You should seek professional advice from an experienced immigration attorney regarding your specific inquiry and case before changing position.

0/5 (0 Reviews)